I moved into the kitchen because I wanted to work the back door, the way we go in and out 99% of the time. I also suspect that Cassie spends most of her time here anyway. I will eventually go back and do more work on the bed in the living room, but am focusing on the kitchen bed right now.
For today’s video, I began working on triggers. A list of separation anxiety triggers, listed from lowest importance to highest importance for her would be:
- 0. Putting on makeup, which I rarely do and isn’t always an indicator
- 1. Turning on the stereo or TV
- 2. Closing the upstairs door.
- 3. Putting on shoes
- 4. Putting on a coat
- 5. Getting gear ready for class
- 6. Picking up Purse
- 7. Keys
- 8. Piling up my gear on the table by the back door
- 9. Walking towards the back door while holding any of the aforementioned items.
I did not follow my own advice and start with the easiest trigger. I started with keys because it was easy and I was being lazy! She did pretty well for her first trigger day. I will keep repeating keys until she is calm when I move towards the back door.
The girls were totally alone for about 2 hours while I went to a private. There was no barking or pawing when I came home. Progress!